Tuesday, June 24, 2008

THE Sandwiches

These sandwiches were famous in my family. They may seem strange, but they taste great.

There were 5 kids and little money in my family when I was growing up. But every year on our birthdays, we could choose dinner. I think all of us usually chose these sandwiches. With 5 kids I guess we got to have them pretty often.

I tried to google the recipe and couldn’t find anything like it. My mom’s recipe had only the name ‘Sandwiches’. I guess they are memorable enough without a better name. I have reduced the fat content of the recipe.

½ # reduced fat Velveeta (more is even better)
1# reduced fat bologna (I use chicken or turkey)
4 dill pickles
1 small onion (could be bigger if you like more)

½ c. sweet relish
1 c. fat free mayo (could be reduced fat, also)
½ c. catsup
hot dog buns (ww buns are better for you)

Grind solid ingredients in a food grinder. A food processor should work well also. I would guess the shredder blade would work for small amounts. Do the Velveeta first so the other foods can clean up the goo. Stir in the other ingredients. Spread generously on the buns. Close the halves. Wrap each bun separately in wax paper. Fill cookie sheets with a single layer of these. Bake at 275 for 30 minutes or until the cheese is all melty and the bun is a bit crusty. Let cool until you can handle without loss of fingers. The filling can burn your tongue if you are not careful.

No comments: