Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Grammy's Macaroni and Cheese

My kids love mac and cheese. I hate that they liked the blue boxed orange stuff. So, I used to suffer over making mac and cheese from scratch, making white sauce, etc. Then Grammy made a version that was easy- no sauce to be made. And the kids liked it just as much as from scratch. So no more from scratch!

2 c. elbow mac (I use the high fiber or whole grain)
2 3 c. shredded cheddar (you can mix freely. A little blue cheese adds a sharp flavor, also.)
1-2 c. sour cream (I use fat free)
1-2 c. cottage cheese
1/4 c. minced onion (I use less of dried onion)
1 egg, beaten
salt and pepper to taste (I add no salt, only pepper)

Cook the mac as per package directions. Mix all the others together in a big bowl. Turn in mac. Bake in a 9x13 pan. I top with some shredded cheese and Italian bread crumbs. Bake at 350 until GBD (golden brown delicious)

This recipe is very versatile. You can add, subtract, or change amounts and ingredients.

No comments: