Friday, June 27, 2008

Maximizing Crock Pot Use

My Basic Crock Pot chili/soup magic. I eat some version of crock pot soup all winter long for lunch at work. When I share it, this chili-like soup always gets requests for the recipe. That is hard, because there is no recipe, only guidelines. I always taste the mixture to make sure it pleases me.

½ - 1 c. brown rice
1 qt. chicken or veggie stock
generous shake of taco seasoning (about 1/3 c., or a packet)
1 regular size can of chopped tomatoes
dried or fresh chopped onion, amount to your preferences. I prefer dried here.

Stir together in crock pot. Cook on high until rice is nearly done, a little whiteness to the look of it, or still a bit hard on the tooth. Add:

1 can beans (black, pinto, lentils, or similar)
1 can corn

Continue cooking till rice is done.

Turn off and add lots of canned veggies. I like green beans, carrots, mixed veggies. I’ve even used canned spinach. It must add a lot of nutrition and blends right in. Usually 3-4 cans. Don’t cook them, just drain and stir them in. They will help cool the chili to stop cooking.

I like mine really thick. These are just guidelines. I throw in whatever leftovers may be appropriate, vary veggies, and change flavors. Enchilada sauce is also good. Refried beans add body and protein. You really can’t go wrong if you properly cook the rice.

No comments: