Saturday, June 28, 2008

3 Bean Casserole

My mom used to make her version of this. It is filling and inexpensive. It can be adapted and changed freely. We were vegetarians for years, so my version is meat free.

1 onion
1 large can baked beans (we like Bush’s vegetarian)
1 can kidney beans
1 can lima beans
optional: 1 can black beans, pinto beans, or black eyed peas
BBQ sauce (I prefer Longhorn brand, but it may be local to the NW)
1 c. catsup
2 T. worchestershire sauce (it is hard to find vegetarian, but it can be done, try health food stores)
If you like it sweeter, you may add honey to taste
oil

Chop and sauté the onions in a bit of oil until tender and soft, but not browned. Drain all beans except baked beans. Mix all. Bake in a large baking dish (I prefer a glass bowl), uncovered. Bake at 350 until bubbly and done to your liking. We prefer to make brown rice while it is baking and have it over rice. It can also be eaten by itself. My mom used to add left over ham. I sometimes add smoke flavor, which I think has no meat in it. I have mixed a wide variety of beans, which work fine, but the original combination has a special taste and texture to it.

No comments: