Thursday, March 25, 2010

Burrito Pie

This one isn't truly a recipe, more a method. I use this to recycle odds and ends from the fridge so as not to waste them.

I usually make it in a large glass pie pan. Lay down a 1/4 inch layer of salsa or other Mexican type sauce you have handy. Rip a flour tortilla to fit or place 2 overlapping to cover the bottom. Then layer whatever you have: refried beans, beans, taco meat, cheese, sour cream, tomatoes (although I prefer these added after cooking) add a layer of cheese, as much or less than you waistline dictates. Add another layer of tortillas and make layers until your dish is full. I usually end up with 3 or 4 layers of tortillas. I top with tortillas and a solid covering of salsa. Sprinkle with cheese, cover with foil, and bake. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, should be boiling on edges. Uncover and bake until GBD (Golden Brown Delicious!)

I let it cool for at least 15 minutes to set up like lasagna. I cut smallish wedges, top with sour cream (fat free, of course), tomatoes, salsa, lettuce, and guacamole. I make a big salad on the top!

No comments: